So as luck would have it, Michelle from Bilingual Blogging nominated me for a Liebster Award, created to promote new blogs and build relationships between bloggers. I’m overklempt. (No, seriously, thank you Michelle!)
She gave me a few questions to answer:
- What place do you consider home? Bay Area, California
- What’s your favorite place that you have visited? Mexico City’s probably my favorite city, partly because of the familiar connection, but I also love Rio de Janeiro and Santiago, Chile.
- Where would you like to live ideally? By a beach with water warm enough to go swimming. (I need to specify this since I’ve lived in San Francisco.)
- Why are you passionate about your blog’s subject matter? São Paulo’s a fascinating city that’s impossible to understand with one glance. It’s not an obviously beautiful metropolis, but there’s so much to learn and discover here.
- Explain the name of your blog. The word tropical often conjures up romantic imagery, such as a paradise or exotic fruit, and the word smog is well, rather jarring. I think it’s a good, biting phrase to describe São Paulo because while it’s a loud, crazy city of cars and concrete, it also has a lot of beauty in unexpected places.
- Why did you start blogging? I didn’t really understand the city (see answer to question 4), so I decided to create this space to document my sort of discovery of my new home.
- What inspires your posts? I tend to gravitate to art and food a lot, but pretty much anything about the city can be inspirational. There’s always something going on.
- What’s your favorite style of music? Latin alternative
- What were you like in high school? I was quiet and sarcastic, with a small tight-knit group of friends. I liked books, drawing and soccer.
- What do you think you will be doing in 10 years? I hate this question because I don’t have a good answer. I have absolutely no idea. Hopefully something that makes me happy.
For the nominees:
If you’re interested, here are the Official Rules for accepting the Liebster Award:
- Answer the questions given and then come up with 10 new ones to ask your nominations.
- Nominate other blogs, let them know you have nominated them and put a link to their blog in your post.
- No Tag backs.
- Nominations must have under 200 followers.
- You must tell all the blogs that you nominate that you have nominated them.
My questions for the nominees:
- What post are you most proud of?
- Do you listen to music while you blog? If so, what?
- Where’s one city you would like to visit?
- What subjects interest you, besides the one(s) you blog about?
- What’s the best compliment you’ve received?
- What would you title your autobiography?
- What’s one thing that’s surprised you as you’ve been blogging?
- What’s your favorite word?
- What’s one thing you would like to accomplish by the end of this year?
- What do you like on your pizza?